Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Summer Travels: The Ruins of Pompei

     While in Italy, we decided to take a day trip and see the ruins of Pompei. I had visited once with my family some time ago, but naturally since I was a child I didn't remember much without having to take a look at old photographs. Although, I do recall telling my 3rd grade teacher that I had visited Pompei just in time before Vesuvius erupted (true story). This time I was excited to visit this city once again, with an understanding of the history and story behind this ancient place. As I walked through the stone roads, I couldn't believe that Pompei had survived buried deep under volcanic ash for almost two thousand years, until it was finally later discovered. 
      I imagined what a girl like me would be doing, thinking, back then in her daily life as I took the same steps she would have through the bumpy streets. I found it incredible to be walking through a city that was frozen in time when Vesuvius erupted in 79 A.D. The volcanic ashes mixed with pumice preserved the bodies of many Pompeians in their last moments of life. Who would have thought that nearly 2,000 years later we would be able to see and walk through the same city? Here are a few photos I took while visiting...enjoy!

Amphitheatre of Pompei
Ancient architecture that survived and was later discovered from the Vesuvius eruption of 79 AD. 
The Arcaded Court where gladiators would practice before a match. 
Being silly while on a quick break from sightseeing =)
Ancient Wheat Grinder and Stairway
A Pompeian Vineyard and Ancient Kitchen
Beautiful light at the end of a fun day.

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful, amazing place!

    Thanks for your sweet blog comment! :)

    ReplyDelete