Monday, October 3, 2011

Roma: La Città Eterna

Rome truly is an eternal city. I've decided to dedicate this post to this place because I'll never forget the first time I visited, and absolutely fell in love with it. Many of my family members live in Italy, and so I have been going there ever since I was a little girl, but I had never been to Rome. Yes, I had learned all about the brave gladiators and the brutal battles they fought, man vs. man, man vs. animal, etc.. The story of Romulus and Remus and how the empire came to be....and so I filled my head with these stories and images of how it once was. But the more I learned, the more I desired to go and see this wonderful place for myself. And so my family decided to take me on my next visit. Oh, you can only imagine how happy my little heart was on our way there. 
            As I walked through the streets of Rome, I was in awe of everything I saw. Everything I had read out of books and all those pictures I had seen was right there in front me! I remember stepping out of the subway and seeing the Colosseum just a few feet away of me. I just stopped and took it all in. I imagined what it could of been like during those days. If I closed my eyes only for a second, I could actually see Roman soldiers standing there. I could see Roman women with their lovely long stolas walking the streets, children chasing each other down the cobblestone roads. It was just so beautiful and all seemed so surreal. After a few minutes and pictures, my family kept walking and I was left with my sister. Excited, I brushed my hand on one of the pillars of the Colosseum and asked "Can you believe it?! We are standing where Romans used to walk....I'm touching a piece of stone that JULIUS CAESAR could have possibly touched...JULIUS CAESAR!!" My sister blankly stared at me as if I was the weirdest person who ever lived...and then walked away. -_-
              We then saw la Piazza di Spagna (Spanish Steps), La Città del Vaticano (Vatican City), the Pantheon, and my favorite....La Fontana di Trevi (The Trevi Fountain). And yes, of course I did what all tourists do...I closed my eyes tight, made a wish, and tossed a coin into the fountain in hopes of someday returning to this magical place. It was just like in The Lizzie McGuire Movie----minus the part where the cute pop-star swept me off my feet and took me for a ride on his vespa (darn!). But I'll just save that for next time ;) ....a girl can dream right?! =P Here are a some photos from my trip I took a few years ago....enjoy!

The one the only..... Julius Caesar 
La Bellissima Fontana di Trevi
Il Colosseo 
The Pantheon
Piazza San Pietro
L'arco Di Constantino
Look how small I look standing by the Colosseum!

No comments:

Post a Comment