Friday, January 11, 2013

Lucky 5/ Love Does

      My love for magazines began at a young age. 12 and ambitious, I would lock myself in my grandparent's bedroom with phone in hand, eager to dial the 10 digit number displayed on my purple sparkly notebook---adorned with Lisa Frank stickers. I would wait a few seconds until I heard a representative on the other line, 'American Girl Magazine, how can I help you today?'. In my best big girl voice I'd bravely answer, 'Yes hello, I would like to subscribe to the American Girl magazine please." Silence. 'Oh ok, Miss are you over 18 years old?' Darn it. I'd hang up politely only to return the next day with my mother by my side to give consent. No matter, in the meantime I would simply call Limited Too next for their Catazine, which was totally free so it was no prob. 
      Looking back I laugh at the extent I would go to get something I really loved, considering I was a pretty shy person. My mom didn't speak English too well and so anytime I really wanted something even as silly as a magazine, I would go and call or look online myself. My mom totally trusted me with her credit card, but no worries I never did anything without telling her (unless it was like ordering flowers for her birthday, which I totally paid her back for.) =)
      I loved the way everything was presented in magazines. I loved the fonts, colors, writing, fashion, and photographs. Everything was so crisp and clean, and super pretty. I would be so inspired by the pages that I began making my own "magazine" filled with printouts and silly writings printed from my first Print Shop software. I'd set up photo shoots with, hold your laughter here---fans that would blow through our hair. Yes, fans. And then would come the disappointment at how the photos never seemed to look as great as they did in the magazines. Sigh. But even so I would doll up my sister and cousins, add a blanket for a background annnnnd volia!! Insta-photoshoot! ;)
      On another note, I recently finished reading a wonderful book. Love Does by Bob Goff was so incredibly inspiring that I purposely would not read it all at once because I didn't want it to end. Unfortunately that didn't last too long because I simply couldn't put it down. I won't tell you too much since it would spoil it, but I will say that it gave a beautiful perspective on life. I loved it so much that I contacted the author and wanted to tell him myself. Crazy right? To my surprise I received a call back, and was able to do so! It was really cool to actually speak to Bob Goff, and be able to put a voice behind his words. Here are a few photos I took this week...Enjoy and Happy Friday! =) 

Stack of new magazines= Pure Bliss 
Pretty ankle strap heels I wore to ring in the New Year
Festive Nails
A wonderfully inspiring novel by Bob Goff

No comments:

Post a Comment