Sunday, May 12, 2013

Letter to My Mom

Dear Mom,
     When I was little I remember you walking me to and from school everyday. You didn't drive at the time and so we would walk in both good and bad weather, and every once in a while we would stop at the local corner shop where you would treat me to my favorite Whoopie Pie cookie and Yoo-hoo drink. You moved here from Italy in your early 20's when you married Dad. Even without knowing the language, you adjusted to the new lifestyle, thousands of miles away from your family. 
     Sometimes when I find myself complaining about daily troubles, I start to think about the struggles you went through at about the same age I am now. With a language barrier, family far away, me, and being in a different country....you were still able to accomplish so many things. You went to school, learned the languages, and became an amazing mother. If there is one woman I aspire to be like most, Mom it's you. You have unbelievable strength and courage through everything. You've taught me to always have faith, and most of all to forgive and love with all my heart. 
     Even though you decided to use my hair to experiment on and totally cut it like a boy when I was three... I forgive you. Mom today is your special day, and so I want to say thank you...
  • Thank you for putting up with my crazy tweeness and waking up extra early to blow-dry my hair EVERY morning so that it looked perfect....well sorta. 
  • Thank you for then be patient with dying my hair a rainbow of colors in high school within a span of three weeks....I think I was about ready to chop it all off -____-.
  • Thank you for coming with me to interviews and telling me it will all be okay. 
  • For holding my hand as they took not one, but TWO bottles of blood from me, as I squeamishly stated I was about to pass out....clearly I wasn't.
  • For listening to my cries every time I've wanted to give up.
  • For supporting me with every silly idea that comes to my mind.
  • For dealing with 3 crazy children constantly chasing each other around the house and hearing way too many "Ma!!!"s in a 24 hour period. 
  • For telling me my outfits looked nice when I was 13....Mom really? That was WAY too gracious of you.
  • For spending time with me at recess when I moved to a new school...those years were tough, but Mom you made them all better. 
  • For teaching me that being myself is worth a million times more than being someone everyone else wants me to be.
     Mom this is just a short list for some of the things you've done for me, truth is there is a million and one things that even if I could write out...there just wouldn't be enough room on the internet to do so. Mom I love you more than any of the words written here could ever describe. I hope to one day become half as wonderful a mother and person you are to me. Happy Mother's Day to all the mommies in the world. Take the time to tell your mom, grandmother, aunt, friend,... any mother in your life how much you love and appreciate them today. Happy Sunday!!

1 comment:

  1. This way beautiful, almost made me tear up a little!! The pictures are lovely too!! -Alyda

    ReplyDelete